Timber - a sustainable material!
6 interesting statistics regarding the environmental credentials of timber:-
- Timber based products require less energy tto manufacture than similar products made of steel or cement.
- Timber has the lowest energy consumption and the lowest CO2 emmission of any commonly used building material.
- Recovering the energy from timber products at the end of their life, as a substitute for fossil fuels, increases the CO2 benefit of using timber and wood products.
- The best way to use forests as carbon sinks is to harvest the timber in a sustainable way and convert it into products (which continue to store the carbon) while replanting more trees than before.
- Timber products lock-up carbon throughout their life.
- Timber is uniquely renewable and whilst plastic, steel, concrete and aluminium are all recycleable - they are not renewable!